Get your first provisional driving licence for a moped, motorbike and car from DVLA online.
To apply you must:
- be at least 15 years and 9 months old
- be able to read a number plate from 20 metres away
The service is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).
If you already have a provisional driving
licence, you do not need to apply again to drive a car.
Before you start
It costs £34 to apply online. You can pay by MasterCard, Visa, Electron or Delta debit or credit card.
You’ll need to provide:
- an identity document unless you have a valid UK biometric passport
- addresses where you’ve lived over the last 3 years
- your National Insurance number if you know it
You’ll get a confirmation email from DVLA after you’ve applied. You might be asked to take part in research by email, but you can opt out.
Your licence should arrive within one week if you apply online. It may take longer if DVLA need to make additional checks.
When you can drive with a provisional driving licence
There are different rules depending on your age and the type of vehicle. Check what vehicles you can drive and when before you start to learn.
Apply online click here
Already got your licence then find a driving instructor here